bantamspast publishes the History Revisited series of books about the origins of sport and the history of professional football in Bradford.
The series goes back to the origins of sport in Bradford up to the present day and when completed will provide a comprehensive and definitive history. Through detailed re-assessment of the historic record, the different books challenge the various myths and superficial narratives that have been told previously about what has happened at Valley Parade and Park Avenue. Our books explain why and how events unfolded as they did and demonstrate how the history remains relevant today. The series delivers fresh and original perspectives about the history of Bradford sport.
- vol 1: A History of Bradford City AFC in Objects by John Dewhirst (bantamspast 2014) 978-0-9566984-4-5
- vol 2: Reinventing Bradford City: The Extraordinary Story of Bradford City’s Modern History, 1985-2016 by Jason McKeown (bantamspast 2016) 978-0-9566984-6-9
- vol 3: Room at the Top – The Origins of Professional Football in Bradford and the Rivalry of Bradford FC and Manningham FC by John Dewhirst (bantamspast 2016) 978-0-9566984-5-2
- vol 4: Life at the Top – The Rivalry of Manningham FC and Bradford FC and their Conversion from Rugby to Soccer by John Dewhirst (bantamspast 2016) 978-0-9566984-8-3
- Vol 5: Who We Are: Exploring the DNA of Bradford City AFC by Jason McKeown (bantamspast 2018) 978-0-9566984-3-8
- Vol 6: Late to the Game: The origins of association football in Bradford and the story of its pioneering clubs by Rob Grillo (bantamspast 2019)
- At least fOUR further volumes are planned including a history of the twentieth century rivalry of Bradford City and Bradford Park Avenue which is currently a work-in-progress with a provisional title Fall From the Top – The Wool City Rivals.
The books can be purchased from the following sources:
- Waterstones Wool Exchange in the centre of Bradford
- Salts Mill bookshop, Saltaire
- by mail order from bantamspast, Bantams Banter and ebay. (Copies are no longer sold through Amazon although you can find reviews of the books on that site.) Books are despatched in Amazon style packaging to avoid damage to the cover so it’s a safe option.
There are limited stocks of earlier volumes and if you have difficulty finding a copy get in touch through the bantamspast HISTORY REVISITED website which provides details of the series, information about subscriber editions, updates on new publications and the opportunity to register to join the mailing list. Ordering information for subscriber copies of the latest book, Late to the Game by Rob Grillo can also be found.
Each book costs £20. A limited number of hard back editions is also available, contact for details.
This is a not for profit project and any surplus funds will ultimately be donated to the Bradford Burns unit.