The Bradford Boys

The Bradford Boys – Winners of the English Schools Shield 1915/16

by Ian Hemmens

Scan_20190510 (6) - Copy

Bradford Boys record in the English Schools Trophy since the Bradford Schools FA at the Osborne Hotel in 1901 was a very mixed bag of results with a couple of good runs to the later rounds only to lose out to the eventual winners on both occasions.

Every association in those days had the problem of trying to achieve a settled side as boys could and usually did leave school on reaching their fourteenth birthday. The 1915/16 season saw a team created which had only three survivors from the previous years campaign.

Consider the times also. The country was in the middle of the largest conflict to involve the nation. After the earliest optimism driven days of the war, the reality was kicking in with the horrors of the carnage hitting home to just about every community in the land. Whole village, towns and cities saw a generation of young men leave to fight and not return. Every household dreading the arrival of the official brown envelope telling of a love one killed or missing in action.

Boys leaving school had to become the man of the house until they themselves were likely to be conscripted to the forces. Schoolboy football was therefore a welcome release from the worries and pressures approaching their young lives.

The three survivors in the 1915/16 squad were Wellock of Drummond Road, Arnold of Green Lane and Silson of Fairweather Green. These boys were included in a trial on 23rd October 1915 at the Park Avenue ground in Horton. A total of 54 boys divided into four teams. Game One was ‘Blues’ who beat ‘Stripes’ 4-1 – Arnold & Pearson (Whetley Lane) having fine games and standing out. The second game was considered to have more of the ‘Probables’ and again the ‘Blues’ were victorious 3-1 with Maurice Wellock scoring all three goals to stake his claim. The boys were then narrowed down to a ‘Probables’ versus ‘Possibles’ again held at Park Avenue on 9th November.

The draw for the first round of the trophy had pitted Bradford against Dewsbury away from home on 20th November. However the home side scratched from the contest leaving the Bradford Boys to progress to a second round tie with Leeds to be played at Greenfield on 4th December. The team chosen was :

Rawnsley (Whetley), Hume (Whetley), Burke (Parish Church), Taylor (Ryan Street) , Ockerby (Green Lane), Downs (Wyke), Skitt (Bradford Moor), Silson (Fairweather Green), Wellock (Drummond), Arnold (Green Lane) & Pearson (Whetley Lane). Bradford were leading 4-1 when inclement weather caused an abandonment. A 6-0 victory in the replay progressing to Round Three against N. E. Derbyshire who had beaten holders Sheffield in the previous round to be played at Valley Parade on 22nd January. Two goals from ‘Big Mo’, Maurice Wellock and an own goal were sufficient to see them progress. For his age, Wellock was tall and well built, not to mention skillful and able to ride tackles and Bradford used this to their advantage throughout the campaign. Such was his form that between the rounds, it was announced Wellock had been selected to play for England Schoolboys to meet Wales at Bolton in April. Maurice thus achieved the honour of being Bradford’s first ever schoolboy international.

Before this though, between the rounds Skitt and Arnold had reached leaving age having reached fourteen and further trial matches were held at Girlington Rec and Park Avenue before Needham (Lapage) & Armitage (Whetley) were chosen to replace the two leavers.

The fifth round (quarter-final) draw was made with Bradford having to travel for the first time to a game to be played at Anfield against Liverpool Boys. With the match on the horizon, the selection committee was hit with a couple of potentially large dilemmas. Firstly, due to Hume & Silson reaching leaving age, replacements were needed and the further trial games gave an opportunity for Bartle (Wyke) & Hellewell (Usher Street). An even bigger potential calamity was faced when talisman Maurice Wellock was sent off in a fiery match between Drummond and Belle Vue? The committee meeting held on 19th April wisely decided that the sending off of Wellock combined with a censure for the school regarding its future behaviour would be punishment sufficient. Problem averted, it was announced at the same meeting that Wellock had again been selected for England Schoolboys to play Scotland in Glasgow on 24th April.

The game at Anfield saw the Bradford youngsters once again emerge victorious with a 3-2 win, goals courtesy of Wellock (2) & Pearson. Wellock maintained his record of scoring in every round. Diminutive goalkeeper Eric Rawnsley also distinguished himself with a penalty save. Yet again, the draw for the semi-final was kind and Bradford were drawn to play Sunderland at Valley Parade on 15th May. Joe Dean (Horton) came into the side to replace Hellewell at inside right.

The game, as a semi final should be was a close affair with the teams tied at 1-1 until a decisive burst in the last 6 minutes saw the Bradford Boys jubilant in reaching a first Shield Final. Yet again, ‘Big Mo’ with a hat-trick was the hero accompanied by a Downes goal for a final score of 4-1.

At that time, the English Schools allocated the finals alternately and with wonderful fortune, the game was allocated to Valley Parade on 27th May. The opponents however would be West Ham schools, an association with four previous appearances in the final with two victories in 1907 & 1912. Despite this formidable record the Bradford Boys played out a comfortable 3-0 victory to secure the trophy, goals courtesy of Wellock, Pearson and Downs. The West Ham boys hadn’t conceded a goal until the semi-final tie and had travelled up the day before. After being welcomed by the committee they were entertained to a night at the Alhambra by the famed Francis Laidler.

Bradford Boys 1916

The day of the match saw a crowd of around 7,000 at Valley Parade, mostly youngsters or men in khaki. The Bradford team was:

  1. Eric Rawnsley (Whetley Lane)
  2. Herbert Bartle (Wyke)
  3. Jimmy Burke (Parish Church)
  4. Harold Taylor (Ryan Street)
  5. Len Ockerby (Green Lane)
  6. Spencer Armitage (Whetley Lane)
  7. Ted Needham (Lapage)
  8. Joe Dean (Horton)
  9. Maurice Wellock (Drummond)
  10. Joe Downs (Wyke)
  11. Herbert Pearson (Whetley Lane).

Bradford took the lead after ten minutes, Wellock heading home a cross to maintain his wonderful record of scoring in every tie that season to compliment a debut goal in his first international as an England schoolboy. Bradford continued to press home the advantage with ‘Big Mo’ looking like scoring with every touch. Three minutes into the second half, the advantage was doubled when Wellock hit the crossbar but Herbert Pearson was following up to force the ball home. Joe Downs then added the third to complete an emphatic victory for the boys. At the post match reception held at the Osborne Hotel, the Shield was presented to Mr W. L. French, Secretary of the Bradford Schools FA in the presence of the Lord Mayor.


The only player qualified to play the next season was keeper Eric Rawnsley who gained a reputation for penalty saves and was rewarded with a place as reserve for the England Schoolboy team.

As with now, the rate for players progressing to the professional game was attritional and of the victorious Shield winners, only two of the side went on to make their name in the ‘Mens’ game. Midfielder (Half Back) Harold Taylor went on to make over 350 first class appearances for Bradford Park Avenue in the 1920s/30s holding the club record for many years before it was broken in the 1960s by Charlie Atkinson.

Harold Taylor

Maurice Wellock was taken on by the wily Peter O’Rourke at Bradford City and despite making first team appearances during wartime football, he was allowed to leave to Halifax Town. Despite his size, he was still very young and City were an established Division One side in those days with a deadly strike force of Oscar Fox and Jimmy McIlvenny, it would have been hard for Maurice to progress. Maurice had an excellent career after City which included Halifax Town, Blackpool, Darlington, Oldham, Peterborough and Torquay United before spending many years as trainer and groundsman at The Shay. He then ran a bookies shop in his native Manningham. His career despite being used as a centre half at times saw him score almost a goal every other game.

Maurice Wellock

Bradford’s defence of the trophy was ended at the third round stage by Sunderland. It would not be until the 1960s before Bradford again reached the later stages of the Shield competition even with schoolboy prodigies like Albert Geldard and Len Shackleton available to them in earlier decades.

During the time of 1916, with the horrors of the Great War in full swing and every aspect of society feeling the strain, a group of young schoolboys from Bradford brought joy to a city who needed a lift from horrors facing them day to day.


Ian is a regular contributor to VINCIT and has written about a wide variety of clubs and sports. The following is a link to his feature on Albert Geldard. You can find his other features through the drop down menu above.

We welcome contributions from anyone interested in Bradford sport history, irrespective of club or code.

Future planned articles on VINCIT include:

  • Lost sportsgrounds of Bradford.
  • Early association football in Bradford.
  • The origins of cycling in Bradford.
  • The impact of social networks on the origins of Bradford sport.
  • The financial failure of Bradford football clubs.
  • Baseball in Bradford.
  • The politics of Odsal Stadium.
  • The influence of the press on the development of Bradford sport.

Contributions are always welcome!